About Me

Friday 8 January 2010

Save the Trees


My local council is thinking of chopping down these trees in a residential area of the town for no other reason than a) they have scratched some cars and b) blocked some people's Sky TV reception. Can't they just pollard and/or trim the trees? It makes me wonder where the council's heads are at. For the first time in my life, I wrote a letter to the local paper. Unfortunately the paper boy didn't come last night due to the snow and so I haven't seen me in print yet! Seriously though, just look at how lovely the trees look. But it's not just about looks: these trees provide environments and habitats for local birds and insects. If they chop them down so people can watch wild life programmes on Sky, the world really is turning upside down.

2 comments:

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

cheadle hulme in stockport had similar tree
can't remember why they needed cuting but they did

in the end they were pollarded
major shock to the system to see it
but
within a year
the road looked lovely again
just in another sort of way

hope you manage to sway local opinion...........

Bailey Jones said...

I agree that pollarding may be a good way forward.

Thanks for your supportive comments.